Place:


Grimley  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grimley like this:

GRIMLEY, a parish in Martley district, Worcestershire; on the river Severn, 4 miles NNW of Worcester r. station. It has a post office under Worcester. Acres, 2, 459. Real property, £5, 097. Pop., 776. house, 1 88. The property is much subdivided. Thorngrove Hall and Sinton Cinrt are chief residences; and the former, for several years prior to 1814, was occupied by Lucien Buonaparte. ...


The living is a vicarage, united with Hallow chapelry and Christ's chapel, Broadheath, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £541.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church has a Norman doorway; is partly early English, partly perpendicular; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains some ancient monuments. There are a national school, and charities, £196. Bishop Hooper was a native.

Grimley through time

Grimley is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grimley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grimley, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9886

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grimley ".