Place:


Horley  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horley like this:

HORLEY, a parish, with a village, in Banbury district, Oxford; at the boundary with Warwick, 4 miles NW of Banbury town and r. station. Post town, Banbury. Acres, 970. Real property, £2, 515. Pop., 337. Houses, 80. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; and, till 1866, was united with the vicarage of Hornton; but was afterwards to be separated. ...


Value, with Hornton, £400.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early and decorated English, with a central tower on Norman foundations; and has a beautiful early English piscina, and an early Norman font. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school with £49 from endowment, and charities with £13.

Horley through time

Horley is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horley, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9857

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horley ".