Place:


Stretford  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stretford like this:

STRETFORD, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, on the S border of Lancashire. The township lies on the Manchester and Altrincham railway, 4 miles SW of Manchester; is in Manchester parish; includes Old Trafford chapelry; contains many handsome villa residences, a public hall, a temperance institute, the Manchester botanic garden, the asylum for the blind, the school for the deaf and dumb, two churches, five dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel of 1864, and a large national school; and has a r. ...


station with telegraph, and a post-office,‡ designated Stretford, Lancashire. Acres, 3,140. Real property, £42,938; of which £500 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 4,998; in 1861, 8,757. Houses, 1,668.—The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 3,882. Houses, 791. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £405.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of M. The church was rebuilt in 1841.—The sub-district comprises S. township and Flixton parish, and is in Barton-upon-Irwell district. Acres, 5,689. Pop., 10,807. Houses, 2,077.

Stretford through time

Stretford is now part of Trafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Trafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stretford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stretford, in Trafford and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/985

Date accessed: 16th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stretford ".