Place:


Upper Heyford  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Heyford like this:

HEYFORD (UPPER), or HEYFORD-WARREN, a parish in Bicester district, Oxford; on the river Cherwell, the Oxford canal, and the Oxford, Birmingham, and Wolverhampton railway, near Heyford r. station, 5½ miles WNW of Bicester. It has a post office, of the name of Upper Heyford, under Oxford. ...


Acres, 1, 300. Real property, £2, 367. Pop., 453. Houses, 101. The manor belongs to New College, Oxford. Heyford House is an old seat of the Myrries. A tithe barn is here of the time of William of Wykeham. Building stone is quarried. A fosse and a vallum, part of the original boundary between the Mercian and the West Saxon kingdoms, are in the E. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, not reported. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is ancient; has a tower bearing the arms of William of Wykeham; and was about to be rebuilt in 1865. There are chapels for Wesleyans and United Free Methodists, a national school, and charities £46.

Upper Heyford through time

Upper Heyford is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Heyford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Heyford, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9848

Date accessed: 16th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upper Heyford ".