Place:


Aughton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aughton like this:

AUGHTON, a parish and a subdistrict in the district of Ormskirk, Lancashire. The parish lies on a branch of the river Alt, and on the Liverpool and Preston railway, at Town-Green station, near the Liverpool and Leeds canal, 2½ miles SSW of Ormskirk. It has a post office under Ormskirk. Acres, 4,462. ...


Real property, £13,804. Pop., 1,870. Houses, 360. The property is much sub-divided. Aughton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £830. Patron, J. P. Tempest, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1867, at a cost of £6,000. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.-The subdistrict includes also two chapelries. Acres, 8,530. Pop., 3,862. Houses, 708.

Aughton through time

Aughton is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aughton in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9847

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aughton ".