Place:


Altham  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Altham like this:

ALTHAM, a township-chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; on the Henburn river, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 1 mile N of Huncoat r. station, and 5 W of Burnley. It includes the village of Sykeside; and its Post Town is Accrington. Acres, 1,406. Real property, £2,580. Pop., 410. Houses, 75. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, R. T. R. Walton, Esq. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1859.

Altham through time

Altham is now part of Hyndburn district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hyndburn has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Altham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Altham, in Hyndburn and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9834

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Altham ".