Place:


Altcar  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Altcar like this:

ALTCAR, a parish in Ormskirk district, Lancashire; on the river Alt, 3 miles SE of Formby r. station, and 6 WSW of Ormskirk. It includes the hamlet of Little Altcar. Post Town, Formby under Liverpool. Acres, 4,284; of which 205 are water. Real property, £5,988. Pop., 540. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. The surface includes some marsh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Earl of Sefton. The church is very good. Charities, £7.

Altcar through time

Altcar is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Altcar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Altcar in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9833

Date accessed: 27th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Altcar ".