Place:


Aintree  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aintree like this:

AINTREE, a township in Sephton parish, Lancashire; on the Alt river and the Leeds canal, 6 miles NNE of Liverpool. It has a post office under Liverpool, a station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, and an Episcopalian chapel; and it contains, with a grand stand built in 1830, a race-course, 1½ mile round, where the Liverpool races are run in February and July. Acres, 825. Pop., 300. Houses, 52.

Aintree through time

Aintree is now part of Sefton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sefton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aintree itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aintree, in Sefton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9819

Date accessed: 23rd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aintree ".