Place:


Grimsbury  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grimsbury like this:

GRIMSBURY, a hamlet in Warkworth parish, Northampton; contiguins to the binndary with Oxford, the river Cherwell, and the Oxford and Rugby railway, in the eastern vicinity of Banbury. Pop. in 1851, 414; in 1 861, 979. house, 205. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of hinses by a Freehold Land Society on an estate now called New Grimsbury. There are a private chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and schools; the last, in the pointed style, built in 1861, by voluntary contribution.

Grimsbury through time

Grimsbury is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grimsbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grimsbury, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9805

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grimsbury ".