Place:


Ardsley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ardsley like this:

ARDSLEY, a township and a chapelry in Darfield parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Barnsley branch railway, and on the Dearne and Dove canal, 2¾ miles ESE of Barnsley; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Barnsley. Acres, 1,212. Real property, £12,033,-of which £7,109 are in mines and quarries. ...


Pop., 1,772. Houses, 363. The chief residences are Ardsley Hall and Ardsley Park. The fanatical and ill-used Quaker, James Nayler, who died in 1660, was a native. The chapelry is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1844. Pop., 1,712. Houses, 363. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Darfield. The church is in the Norman style, and was built in 1841. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Ardsley through time

Ardsley is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ardsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ardsley, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/980

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ardsley ".