Place:


Tottington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tottington like this:

TOTTINGTON, a chapelry, which is also a sub-district, in Tottington-Lower-End township, Bury parish and district, Lancashire; 2½ miles NNW of Bury r. station. It was constituted in 1843; and it has a village of its own name, a post-office under Bury, and a fair on the third Friday of Aug. ...


Pop., 5,119. Houses, 992. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Crown; was given, by Charles II., to Gen. Monk; and passed, through the Duchess of Buccleuch, to Lord Montague. There are numerous good residences. T. Hall is a classical academy. Cotton manufacture is largely carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Bury. The church is plain. There are an Independent chapel, and a national school.

Tottington through time

Tottington is now part of Bury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tottington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tottington, in Bury and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/98

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tottington ".