Place:


Woodhorn  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodhorn like this:

WOODHORN, a township and a parish in Morpeth district, Northumberland . The township lies on the coast, 2½ miles N of North Seaton r. station, and 8 ENE of Morpeth. Acres, 2,558; of which 1,082 are water. Pop., 171. Houses, 31. The parish includes Newbiggin township, which has a post-office under Morpeth, North Seaton township, where is the r. ...


station, and five other townships; and comprises 8,456 acres. Real property, £12,116; of which £2,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,598; in 1861, 2,962. Houses, 530. The increase of pop. was mainly in North Seaton, and arose there from extension of collieries. The property is chiefly divided among four. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £512.* Patron, the Bishop of D. The church was partially rebuilt in 1843. A chapel of ease is at Newbiggin. National and infant schools, opened in 1869, also are there . The p. curacy of Creswell is a separate benefice. Charities, £21.

Woodhorn through time

Woodhorn is now part of Wansbeck district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wansbeck has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodhorn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodhorn, in Wansbeck and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9794

Date accessed: 23rd September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodhorn ".