Place:


Westgate  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westgate like this:

WESTGATE, a township and a sub-district in Newcastle-upon-Tyne district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Tyne, within Newcastle borough; forms the NW suburb of N. town; is in N.-St. John parish; and comprises 210 acres of land and 19 of water. Pop. in 1851, 16,477; in 1861, 21,272. Houses, 2,786. The increase of pop. arose mainly from extension of the iron trade.—The sub-district includes two other townships of St. John and one of St. Andrew; and contains Newcastle workhouse. Acres, 2,778. Pop. in 1851, 31,388; in 1861, 37,477. Houses, 5,377.

Westgate through time

Westgate is now part of Newcastle upon Tyne district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle upon Tyne has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westgate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westgate, in Newcastle upon Tyne and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9766

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westgate ".