Place:


Wark  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wark like this:

WARK, a village, a township, and a parish, in Bellingham district, Northumberland. The village stands on the North Tyne river, near the Border Counties railway, 4¼ miles SSE of Bellingham; and has a post-office under Hexham, and a r. station. The township comprises 3,160 acres. Pop., 546. ...


Houses, 132.—The parish includes three other townships, and comprises 22,986 acres. Real property, £7,891. Pop., 899. Houses, 197. The property is much subdivided. A seat of the Ratcliffes was at Mote Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £340.* Patron, Greenwich Hospital. The church was built in 1818. There are an English Presbyterian chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and a charity of £200 a year partly expended on the school.

Wark through time

Wark is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wark itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wark, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9757

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wark ".