Place:


Castlemorton  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castlemorton like this:

CASTLE-MORTON, or Morton-Foliot, a parish in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester; under the Malvern hills, 4½ miles SW by W of Upton-on-Severn, and 3½ S by E of Malvern r. station. Post Town, Longdon, under Tewkesbury. Acres, 3,656. Real property, £5,569. Pop., 818. Houses, 195. ...


The property is much subdivided. A castle of the De Montes stood here. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Longdon, in the diocese of Worcester. The church is ancient but good; and a chapel for the outlying portions of Castle-Morton and Berrow was built in 1869. There are a national school, and charities £28.

Castlemorton through time

Castlemorton is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castlemorton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castlemorton, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9752

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castlemorton ".