Place:


Broadway  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broadway like this:

BROADWAY, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Evesham district, Worcester. The village stands 3½ miles W of Camden r. station, and 5½ SE by S of Evesham; and has a head post office.‡ The parish comprises 4,800 acres. Real property, £10,343. Pop., 1,566. Houses, 361. ...


The property is much subdivided. The Broadway hills were the quarters of the royalists after the battle of Evesham; and command a fine view. Stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £240.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1839; and there are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics. A school has £74 from endowment; and other charities, £27. The subdistrict contains sixteen parishes; seven of them electorally in Gloucester. Acres, 28,570. Pop., 6,870. Houses, 1,511.

Broadway through time

Broadway is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broadway itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broadway, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9739

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broadway ".