Place:


Birtsmorton  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birtsmorton like this:

BIRTSMORTON, a parish in Upton-on-Severn district Worcester; under the Malvern hills, 5½ miles SW of Upton-on-Severn r. station, and 7 WNW of Tewkesbury. Post Town, Berrow, under Ledbury. Acres, 1,268. Real property, £2,101. Pop., 289. Houses, 68. The property is much subdivided. The manor was long held by the ancient Cornish family of Nanfaus; and the manor-house a very ancient edifice, moated round, and now a farmhouse, was the birthplace of the Right Hon. ...


W. Huskisson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £430.* Patron,Pilson, Esq. The church contains several curious ancient monuments, and was repaired in 1859. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial school and charities £20.

Birtsmorton through time

Birtsmorton is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birtsmorton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birtsmorton, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9632

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birtsmorton ".