Place:


Ystradowen  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ystradowen like this:

YSTRADOWEN, a parish, with a r. station, in Bridgend district, Glamorgan; on the Cowbridge branch of the Taff Vale railway, 2¼ miles NE of Cowbridge. Post town, Cowbridge. Acres, 1,494. Real property, £1,270. Pop., 248. Houses, 49. A shalland Hensol are chief residences. A seat of Prince Owenab Cyllin stood here, and was an annual meeting-place of the bards till 1720. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £52. Patron, the Bishop of L. Charities, £11. A fair is held on 7 Aug.

Ystradowen through time

Ystradowen is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ystradowen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ystradowen in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9582

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ystradowen ".