Place:


Chislehampton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chislehampton like this:

CHISELHAMPTON, a parish in the district of Abingdon and county of Oxford; on the river Thame, 5 miles ENE of Culham r. station, and 7½ SE of Oxford. Post town, Stadhampton, under Wallingford. Acres, 1, 210 Real property, £1, 446. Pop., 133. Houses, 26. The property is divided among a few. ...


Chiselhampton House belonged once to the D'Oyleys, and belongs now toPeers, Esq. The long bridge of Chiselhampton, now much altered and widened, was defended by Hampden against Prince Rupert, on the morning of the fight of Chalgrove. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Stadhampton, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £135. Patron, Rev. J. W. Peers. The church is tolerable.

Chislehampton through time

Chislehampton is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chislehampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chislehampton in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9535

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chislehampton ".