Place:


Chinnor  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chinnor like this:

CHINNOR, a village and a parish in the district of Wycombe, and county of Oxford. The village stands on the verge of the county, under the Chiltern hills, near Icknield-street, 2½ miles SW of Princes-Risborough r. station, and 5¼ SE of Thame; and has a post office under Tetsworth. ...


It was burnt by Prince Rupert on the morning of the battle of Chalgrove. The parish includes also the liberty of Henton. Acres, 2, 687. Real property, £4, 655. Pop., 1, 296. Houses, 296. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £509.* Patron, Sir J. Musgrave, Bart. The church is decorated English; and contains brasses of the 14th century, and paintings by Thornhill. There is an Independent chapel.

Chinnor through time

Chinnor is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chinnor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chinnor in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9533

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chinnor ".