Place:


Monkseaton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkseaton like this:

MONKSEATON, a township in Tynemouth parish, Northumberland; 2½ miles NNW of North Shields. Acres, 1,110. Pop., 421. Houses, 80. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. The stump of an ancient cross, called the Monk's stone, is here; and a gallows of the prior of Tynemouth stood near it. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a large brewery, and several collieries.

Monkseaton through time

Monkseaton is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monkseaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkseaton, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9503

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monkseaton ".