Place:


Wroxall  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wroxall like this:

WROXHALL, a parish in the district and county of Warwick; 2½ miles ESE of Kingswood r. station, and 6 NW of Warwick. Post town, Warwick. Acres, 1,735. Real property, £3,049. Pop., 144. Houses, 35. The manor, with W. abbey, belonged to the Bourgoynes, passed to the Wrens, and belongs now to J. ...


Dugdale, Esq. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here in the time of Stephen by Hugh de Hatton, and was given, at the dissolution, to the Bourgoynes. The living is a donative in the diocese of Worcester. Value, not reported. Patron, J. Dugdale, Esq. The church is part of the old nunnery structure. Charities, £129.

Wroxall through time

Wroxall is now part of Warwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wroxall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wroxall, in Warwick and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9477

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wroxall ".