In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Lytham like this:
Lytham, town and par. with ry. sta., N. Lancashire, on estuary of the Ribble, 7 miles SE. of Blackpool and 14 miles W. of Preston - par. (containing the greater part of St Annes on Sea), 5310 ac. and 9872 foreshore, pop. 5268; town, pop. 4122; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 1 newspaper. Lytham is situated on the N. shore of the estuary of the Ribble, and is a great resort during the spring and summer months. The pier (1864) is 900 ft. long, and there is a splendid beach, also a promenade and marine drive. About a mile to the E. is Lytham Pool, an anchorage of vessels for the port of Preston. The trade of the town is connected with the supply required by visitors.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Lytham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Fylde. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Lytham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lytham, in Fylde and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Lytham".