Place:


Finedon  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Finedon like this:

FINEDON, or Thingdon, a village and a parish in Wellingborough district, Northampton. The village stands near the Leicester and Bedford railway, 3½ miles NE by N of Wellingborough; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Higham-Ferrers, both of the name of Finedon. Acres, 3, 650. ...


Real property, £8, 418. Pop. in 1851, 1, 588; in 1861, 1,840. Houses, 423. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of the shoe manufacture. The property is much sub-divided. Finedon Hall is the seat of the Dolbens. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £843.* Patron, the Rev. G. W. Paul. The church is later English, in very good condition; and has a tower and spire, and an octagonal font. There are chapels for Independents, Quakers, Wesleyans, and Free Methodists. A free school has £60; a girls' school has £78; and other charities have £55.

Finedon through time

Finedon is now part of Wellingborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wellingborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Finedon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Finedon, in Wellingborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/945

Date accessed: 17th August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Finedon ".