Place:


Lambley  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lambley like this:

LAMBLEY, a small village and a parish in Haltwhistle district, Northumberland. The village stands on the river South Tyne, adjacent to the Alston railway, 2½ miles from the boundary with Cumberland, and 4¼ SSW of Haltwhistle; and has a station on the railway. The parish contains also the hamlet of Asholme; and its post-town is Haltwhistle, under Carlisle. ...


Acres, 2,698. Real property, £1,555. Pop., 357. Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to R. L. Allgood, Esq. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here by King John, or by Adam de Tindale; was destroyed by the Scots under Wallace, in 1296; was afterwards rebuilt; was given, at the dissolution, to the Dudleys and the Featherstonehaughs; and has completely disappeared. An ancient fortress stood on Castle-hill; and vestiges of a deep moat exist there. Some ancient oak coffins, as black as ebony, have been found near the river. The living is a donative in the diocese of Durham. Value, not reported. Patron, R. L. Allgood, Esq. The church is ancient and good.

Lambley through time

Lambley is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lambley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lambley, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9424

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lambley ".