Place:


Kirkwhelpington  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirkwhelpington like this:

KIRKWHELPINGTON, a village, a township, and a sub-district in Bellingham district, and a parish partly also in Castle-Ward district, Northumberland. The Village stands on a cliff above the river Wansbeck, 1 mile N of Knowes-Gate r. station, and 10 E by N of Bellingham; contains a good specimen of the smaller peel towers; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office, under Newcastle-on-Tyne. ...


-The township comprises 2, 778 acres. Pop, 190. Houses, 43.—The sub-district contains all the parish, except one township; and contains also five other parishes, and part of another. Pop., 2, 833. Houses, 592. The parish contains the township of Kirkwhelpington, West Whelpington, Crogdean, West Harle, Great Bavington, Catcherside, Coldwell, Fawns, and Little Harle in Bellingham district, and the township of Capheaton in Castle-Ward district. Acres, 13, 351. Real property, £6, 825. Pop., 644. Houses, 131. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Most of the land is pasture. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £288.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower.

Kirkwhelpington through time

Kirkwhelpington is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirkwhelpington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirkwhelpington, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9419

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirkwhelpington ".