Place:


Welford on Avon  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welford on Avon like this:

WELFORD, a village in Gloucestershire, a parish partly also in Warwickshire, and all in the district of Stratford-on-Avon. The village stands on the river Avon, 1½ mile W by N of Milcote r. station, and 4 SW of Stratford-on-Avon; and has a post-office under Stratford-on-Avon. The parish comprises 3,550 acres. ...


Real property of the Gloucester portion, £3,914. Pop., 627. Houses, 150. Real property of the Warwick portion, consisting of Bickmarsh and Little Dorsington hamlet, £1,256. Pop., 50. Houses, 11. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £450.* Patron, Countess Delawarr. The church was restored in 1867. Charities, £7.

Welford on Avon through time

Welford on Avon is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Welford on Avon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welford on Avon, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9400

Date accessed: 20th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Welford on Avon ".