Place:


Kearsley  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kearsley like this:

KERSLEY, or KEARSLEY, a village and a township in Deane parish, Lancashire. The village stands adjacent to the Manchester and Bolton railway, near the Bolton canal, 4 miles SE of Bolton; and is a large place. The township comprises 900 acres. Real property, £28, 809; of which £17, 655 are in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 4, 236; in 1861, 5, 003. Houses, 994. The increase of pop. arose from mining operations. There are extensive coal mines, and varions manufacturing establishments. A building, to serve as a school and as a temporary place of worship, was erected on Kersley-moor in 1863; and a church was then in contemplation, with the view of forming part or all of the township into a separate chapelry.

Kearsley through time

Kearsley is now part of Bolton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bolton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kearsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kearsley, in Bolton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/94

Date accessed: 18th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kearsley ".