In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Britwell Prior like this:
BRIGHTWELL-PRIOR, or Britwell-Prior, a chapelry in Newington parish, Oxford; under the Chilterns, 1¾ mile SW of Watlington, and 7½ NW by N of Wallingford-Road r. station. Post Town, Britwell-Salome under Wallingford. Real property, £866. Pop., 43. Houses, 6. The manor belonged formerly to the Welds; and Brightwell House is now the seat of H. Reeves, Esq. An ancient priory stood here; and a nunnery of St. Clare was set up for some time by French Nuns who fled from the first revolution. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Newington, in the diocese of Oxford. The church is Norman in the nave, and early English in the chancel; and has a decorated font.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Britwell Prior has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Oxfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Britwell Prior and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Britwell Prior in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Britwell Prior".