Place:


Brightwell Baldwin  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brightwell Baldwin like this:

BRIGHTWELL-BALDWIN, or Britwell-Baldwin, a parish in Henley district, Oxford: 2¼ miles W by N of Watlington, and 8 NNE of Wallingford-Road r. station. It includes the liberty of Cadwell; and its Post Town is Cuxham, under Tetsworth. Acres, 1,660. Real property, £2,181. Pop., 277. Houses, 55. ...


Brightwell house is the seat of F.-L. Austen, Esq. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £386.* Patron, Mrs. L. S. Norton. The church is fine decorated English, with rich perpendicular tower; and contains tombs of the Carletons. There are a national school, and charities £28. Bishops Westfaling and Paul were rectors.

Brightwell Baldwin through time

Brightwell Baldwin is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brightwell Baldwin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brightwell Baldwin in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9390

Date accessed: 16th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brightwell Baldwin ".