Place:


Tanworth in Arden  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tanworth in Arden like this:

TANWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in. Solihull district, Warwick. The village stands 4 miles NW of Henley-in-Arden, and 5 SW of Knowle r. station; and has a post-office under Birmingham. The parish is cut into 4 quarters, and comprises 9,400 acres. Rated property, £11,375. ...


Pop., 1,946. Houses, 440. Much of the land belongs to Earl Amherst and T. Burman, Esq. Umberslade is the seat of G. F. Muntz, Esq. A very large reservoir of the Birmingham and Stratford canal is here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £507.* Patron, Earl Amherst. The church is good. A section, with a pop. of 1,142, and bearing the name of Salters-street, was constituted a separate charge in 1843; and the living of it is a p. curacy, of the value of £150,* in the patronage of the Vicar. A tower was added to its church in 1861. There are two national schools, an endowed school with £8 a year, and charities £196.—The sub-district contains three parishes and two hamlets. Pop., 3,029. Houses, 680.

Tanworth in Arden through time

Tanworth in Arden is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tanworth in Arden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tanworth in Arden, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9381

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tanworth in Arden ".