Place:


Whitby  North Riding

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Whitby like this:

Whitby.-- seaport and market town, par., and township, North-Riding Yorkshire, at mouth of river Esk, 19 miles NW. of Scarborough and 56½ NE. of York by rail - par., 28,227 ac., pop. 18,611; township, 78 ac., pop. 8820; town, 2028 ac., pop. 14,086; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. ...


The town is divided into old and new by the river Esk, which is spanned by a stone bridge with a swivel centre-piece to allow vessels to enter the inner harbour. The outer harbour is protected by two stone piers, the longer of which forms an agreeable promenade. Tim harbour is spacious and commodious, with wet and dry docks, and slips for shipbuilding. The coasting trade is extensive. (For shipping statistics, see Appendix.) On High Whitby or Ling Hill are 2 lighthouses, 60 and 46 feet high, each with fixed light 240 feet above high water and seen 23 miles. Iron steamships are built, and there are boatbuilding yards, sailcloth factories, roperies, and productive sea fisheries. The mfr. or' jet ornaments is a specialty. Whitby has recently come into favour as a watering-place. Some remains still exist of the church of the Benedictine abbey (1073) which succeeded a famous Saxon convent of the 7th century. Whitby returned 1 member to Parliament from 1832 until 1885.

Whitby through time

Whitby is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitby, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/938

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitby ".