Place:


Studley  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Studley like this:

STUDLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Alcester district, Warwick. The village stands on the river Arrow, 3¾ miles SSE of Redditch r. station; carries on a manufacture of needles, bodkins, and fish-hooks; and has a post-office‡ under Redditch. The parish includes Mapleborough hamlet, and comprises 4,262 acres. ...


Real property, £11,500. Pop., 2,230. Houses, 487. The property is not much divided. S. Castle is the seat of T.Walker, Esq. An Augustinian priory was founded in the time of Henry II.; went, at the dissolution, to Sir E. Knightly; and is now a modernised farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £103. Patron, Col. Gooch. The church is ancient but good. A schoolroom at Mapleborough is used as a chapel of ease. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics, a national school, and charities £57.—The sub-district contains five parishes and a hamlet. Acres, 12,095. Pop., 4,274. Houses, 909.

Studley through time

Studley is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Studley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Studley, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9378

Date accessed: 21st November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Studley ".