Place:


Merevale  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merevale like this:

MEREVALE, a parish in the district of Atherstone and counties of Warwick and Leicester: on Watlingstreet, the Terent Valley railway, the Coventry canal, and the river. Anker, and 1 mile W by S of Atherstone r. station. Post town, Atherstone. Acres of the Warwick portion, 1,100. Real property, £1, 690. ...


Pop., 132. Houses, 29. Acres of the Leicester portion, 1,050. Pop., 80. Houses, 12. The property is divided among a few. The manor, Merevale Hall, and all the Warwick portion, he long to W. S. Dugdale, Esq. The Hall was recently rebuilt; stands on an eminence about 400 feet above sea-level, commanding a fine view; and is surrounded by a beautiful park. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1148, by Robert, Earl of Ferrers; and is now represented by the parish church, and by some interesting fragments and foundations of its other buildings. The living is a donative in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £24. Patron, W. S. Dugdale, Esq. The church was the chapel at the gate of the abbey; contains three stone coffins, several ancient brasses, a fine alabaster tomb of Lord Ferrars, and monuments of the Stratfords and the Dugdales; and was recently in a very dilapidated condition.

Merevale through time

Merevale is now part of North Warwickshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Warwickshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Merevale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merevale in North Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9375

Date accessed: 22nd September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Merevale ".