Place:


Bloxham  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bloxham like this:

BLOXHAM, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, and a hundred in Oxford. The village stands 3½ miles SW of Banbury r. station; and has a post office‡ under Banbury. The parish is shown in the Census as including the chapelry of Milcombe. Acres, 4,240. Real property, £10,962. Pop., 1,607. ...


Houses, 369. Bloxham Grove is occupied by the Rev. G. Warriner. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £290.* Patron, Eton College. The church is a fine edifice of mixed styles, from Norman to late English; has a very beautiful decorated spire, 195 feet high; was restored in 1865, at great cost; and contains monuments of the Griffiths and the Thorneycrofts. The vicarage of Milcombe is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel built in 1868, a Baptist chapel, a very large middle class school in the collegiate style, enlarged in 1864, an endowed school with £30 a year, and charities £390.-The subdistrict contains six parishes; and is in Banbury district. Acres, 18,770. Pop. 6,216. Houses, 1,490.-'The hundred contains eleven parishes and parts of two others. Acres, 29,770. Pop., 8,855. Houses, 2,111.

Bloxham through time

Bloxham is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bloxham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bloxham, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9366

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bloxham ".