Place:


Stoneleigh  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stoneleigh like this:

STONELEIGH, a parish, with a village and seven hamlets, in the district and county of Warwick; on the river Avon, 2½ miles E by N of Kenilworth r. station. It has a post-office under Kenilworth. Acres, 9,907. Real property, £15,743. Pop., 1,283. Houses, 283. The manor, from before the Norman conquest till the time of Edward II., belonged to the Crown. ...


A Cistertian monastery was founded here by Henry II.; went, at the dissolution, to the Brandons; and passed to the Leighs. S. Abbey, now a magnificent mansion, the seat of Lord Leigh, retains restored portions of the monastic buildings; consists chiefly of parts erected about the end of the 17th century; stands in an extensive, well-wooded, undulating park; and was visited, in 1858, by Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £510.* Patron, Lord Leigh. The church is ancient, partly Norman, and good. The vicarage of Westwood is a separate benefice. There are a reading room and library, a national school, alms houses with £139 a year, and other charities £21.

Stoneleigh through time

Stoneleigh is now part of Warwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stoneleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stoneleigh, in Warwick and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9364

Date accessed: 24th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stoneleigh ".