Place:


Bladon  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bladon like this:

BLADON, a village and a parish in Woodstock district, Oxford. The village stands adjacent to the S end of Blenheim Park, 1¼ mile ENE of Handborough r. station, and 2 S of Woodstock; and it has a post office under Woodstock. Pop., 395. Houses, 87. The parish includes also the hamlet of Hensington. ...


Acres, 1,350. Real property, £2,857. Pop., 666. Houses, 128. The manor belongs to the Duke of Marlborough. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Woodstock, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £329.* Patron, the Duke of Marlborough. The church was built in 1804; was remodelled and enlarged in 1862; and is in a very early pointed style. There are two Methodist chapels, a mixed school, and charities £251. Dr. Griffith, who defended Basing House, was rector.

Bladon through time

Bladon is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bladon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bladon in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9354

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bladon ".