Place:


Slindon  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slindon like this:

SLINDON, a village and a parish in Westhampnett district, Sussex. The village stands 3 miles NNE of Barnham-Junction r. station, and 3¼ W by N of Arundel; and has a post-office under Arundel. The parish includes the quondam extra-parochial tract of the Gumber, and comprises 2,504 acres. ...


Real property, £3,135. Pop., 543. Houses, 124. The manor was given, by the Saxon king Ceadwalla, to the Archbishops of Canterbury; and passed to the Kempes. S. House was built, in the 13th century, by one of the Archbishops; was the death-place of Cardinal Langton; was rebuilt, in the time of Elizabeth, by Sir G. Kempe; passed through various hands, and underwent numerous alterations; and is now the seat of Col. Leslie. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £219.* Patron, Col. Leslie. The church was partly restored, partly rebuilt and extended, and got a new spire, in 1867. There is a Roman Catholic chapel.

Slindon through time

Slindon is now part of Arun district. Click here for graphs and data of how Arun has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Slindon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slindon, in Arun and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9336

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Slindon ".