Place:


Ratley  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ratley like this:

RATLEY, a village and a parish in the district of Ban.bury and county of Warwick. The village stands under Edge hill, near the boundary with Oxfordshire, 4 miles S E of Kineton, and 4½ S W of Fenny-Compton r. station. The parish contains also the hamlet of Upton; and its post town is Kineton, under Warwick. ...


Acres, 1, 500. Real property, £3,046. Pop., 476. Houses, 93. The manor was known at Domesday as Rotelei; and belongs now to Earl Jersey. Stone is extensively quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £120.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good, and has a lofty tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £15 a year, and charities £6.

Ratley through time

Ratley is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ratley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ratley, in Cherwell and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9335

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ratley ".