Place:


Horton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horton like this:

HORTON, a township and a parish in Tynemouth district, Northumberland. The township lies on the river Blyth, 2 miles WNW of Newsham r. station, and 3 WSW of Blyth. Acres, 2, 365; of which 190 are water. Pop., 368. Houses, 82. The parish contains also the townships of East Hartford, West Hartford, Bebside, and Cowpen; the last of which has a head post office, designated Cowpen, Northumberland. ...


Acres, 5, 550. Real property, £43, 563; of which £30, 000 are in mines and £100 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 4, 449; in 1861, 6, 787. Houses, 1, 349. The increase of pop. was caused by the extension of collieries. The property is not much divided. An old castle of the Delavals stood here: and the ruins of it were destroyed in 1809. Coal is very extensively worked. The parish originally formed part of Woodhorn, and afterwards became a parochial chapelry. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Woodhorn. The church was rebuilt in 1827, and has a tower. There are chapels for Presbyterians, Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Roman Catholics. There is also a national school.

Horton through time

Horton is now part of Blyth Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blyth Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horton, in Blyth Valley and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9315

Date accessed: 18th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horton ".