Place:


Heyshott  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heyshott like this:

HEYSHOTT, a parish in Chichester district, Sussex; near the river Rother, and the Haslemere and Chichester railway, 2 miles SSE of Midhurst. Post town, Midhurst. Acres, 2, 171. Real property, £1, 815. Pop., 396. Houses, 83. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to William de Percy, Earl of Montgomery; descended to the Earls of Northumberland; passed, in the time of Henry VIII., to Sir William Fitzwilliam, and in 1761, to the Earl of Egremont; and belongs now to Lord Leconfield. ...


Part of the surface is downs; and there are vestiges of an ancient camp. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Stedham, in the diocese of Chichester. The church is decorated and later English, and was recently restored.

Heyshott through time

Heyshott is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heyshott itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heyshott, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9314

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heyshott ".