Place:


Holywell  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holywell like this:

HOLYWELL, or HALLIWELL, a township in Earsdon parish, Northumberland; 4½ miles NNW of North Shields. Acres, 1, 180. Pop. in 1851, 1, 134; in 1861, 1, 261. Houses, 271. It has a post office under Newcastle-on-Tyne. The manor belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. Coal is extensively worked; and there is a mineral spring.

Holywell through time

Holywell is now part of Blyth Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blyth Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holywell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holywell, in Blyth Valley and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9307

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holywell ".