Place:


Oxhill  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oxhill like this:

OXHILL, a village and a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Warwick. The village stands on an affluent of the river Stour, 2½ miles W N W of the boundary with Oxfordshire, 3 E S E of the Fosse way, 4¼ S S W of Kineton, and 9½ S E of Stratford-on-Avon r. station. The parish comprises 1, 668 acres. ...


Post-town, Kineton, under Warwick. Real property, £2, 527. Pop., 373. Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The parish is a meet for the Warwickshire hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £354.* Patron, W. D. Bromley Davenport, Esq. The church is Norman, with a low tower; and the chancel was recently restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school.

Oxhill through time

Oxhill is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oxhill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oxhill, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9251

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oxhill ".