Place:


Haydon  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Haydon like this:

HAYDON, or HAYDON-BRIDGE, a small town and a chapelry, or in some respects a parish, in Hexham district, Northumberland. The town stands on both banks of the South Tyne river, and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 7½ miles W of Hexham; consists chiefly of two good streets, extending parallel to the river; has a good bridge of six arches; had formerly a weekly market; and has a post-office‡ under Carlisle, a railway station with telegraph, one or two good inns, a church, four dissenting chapels, a free grammar school, a national school, and alms-houses. ...


The church is an edifice of 1797, with a square tower. J. Martin, the painter, was a native.—The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Brokenhaugh, Deanrow, Ellerington, Lipwood, Chesterwood, and Langley. Acres, 13,688. Real property, £5,440. Pop. in 1851, 2,085; in 1861, 2,221. Houses, 434. The manor belonged formerly to Lords Lucy, and belongs now to Greenwich hospital. Langley Castle is a large and stately ruin; first mentioned in 1365; standing now in nearly the same state as when described in 1416; and forming an oblong, with massive, projecting, corner towers. Langley smelting mills are large works of lead and zinc ores. There is also, at the town, a large iron and brass foundry. The tract along the Tyne is fertile and beautiful; but much of the rest of the surface is moor and upland. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Warden, in the diocese of Durham. The old church stands about a mile N of the town; and was converted into a mortuary chapel. The old cemetery bears the name of "cruel syke," probably from some Border foray.

Haydon through time

Haydon is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Haydon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Haydon, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9249

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Haydon ".