Place:


Offchurch  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Offchurch like this:

OFFCHURCH, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Warwick; on the river Leam, the Warwick and Napton canal, the Fosse way, and the Rugby and Warwick railway, 3 miles E of Leamington r. station, and 5 E by N of Warwick. Post-town, Leamington. Acres, 2, 273. Real property, £4, 144. ...


Pop., 304. Houses, 66. The manor belonged anciently to the Mercian kings, afterwards to Coventry priory; and, with all the property, belongs now to the Earl of Aylesford.off church-Bury, an ancient stone mansion, is the Earl'sseat; and stands on the Leam, in a finely wooded park of about 250 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £140.* Patron, Lady Ayles-ford. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains several handsome monuments and tablets. There is a national school.

Offchurch through time

Offchurch is now part of Warwick district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warwick has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Offchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Offchurch, in Warwick and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9246

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Offchurch ".