Place:


Napton on the Hill  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Napton on the Hill like this:

NAPTON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a parish in Southam district, Warwick. The village stands on an eminence, adjacent to the Oxford canal, 1 mile S W by S of that canal's junction with the Warwick and Napton canal, 3 E of Southam, and 5 E by N of Southam-Road r. station; is a pleasant place, commanding extensiveviews; was once a market-town; and has a post-office, of the name of Napton, under Rugby. ...


The parish comprises 4, 140 acres. Real property, £8, 157. Pop., 978. Houses, 224. The property is much subdivided; but much of itbelongs to Sir F. Shuckburgh, Bart., and to Warwickhospital. A large reservoir of the Oxford canal is here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £450.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and was completely restored in 1861. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £45.

Napton on the Hill through time

Napton on the Hill is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Napton on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Napton on the Hill, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9227

Date accessed: 22nd July 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Napton on the Hill ".