Place:


Middleton  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton like this:

MIDDLETON, a village and a parish in the district of Tamworth and county of Warwick. The village stands near the boundary with Staffordshire, 1½ mile W of the Faseley canal, 2 W of the river Tame, 2¾ S of Watlingstreet, 3 NW of Kingsbury r. station, and 4½ SSW of Tamworth; has a postal letter-box under Tamworth; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Willoughby. ...


The parish comprises 3,540 acres. Real property, £5,29-3. Pop., 484. Houses, 99. The manor and most of the land belong to Lord Middleton. Middleton Hall is the seat of John Peel, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Middleton. The church is of varions dates, from Norman downwards; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains several monuments to the Willoughbys, and a very ancient and curious one to Lord Ridgway. There are an endowed school with £46 a year, and charities £29.

Middleton through time

Middleton is now part of North Warwickshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Warwickshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Middleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton in North Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9208

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Middleton ".