In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wood Green like this:
WOOD-GREEN, a ward and a chapelry in Tottenham parish, Middlesex. The ward lies on the Great Northern railway, at Alexandra Park, 6 miles N of St. Paul's, London; and has a post-office under Tottenham, London N, and a r. station. Pop. in 1851, 1,269; in 1861, 3,154. Houses, 565. The chapelry is less extensive than the ward, and was constituted in 1866. Pop., about 4,000. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, not reported. Patron, the Vicar of Tottenham. The Royal Masonic school for boys, a very fine building, is here. The Printers' and Fishmongers' alms houses also are here; and the latter is an imposing edifice in florid Tudor style.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wood Green has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Haringey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wood Green and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wood Green, in Haringey and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wood Green".