Place:


Wimbledon  Surrey

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Wimbledon like this:

Wimbledon, town and par., Surrey, at the NE. extremity of Wimbledon Common, 7½ miles SW. of Waterloo Station, London, by rail, 3220 ac. (47 water), pop. 15,950. Good residences, chiefly modern villas, are numerous, many families having been attracted to Wimbledon by the salubrity of the climate, Wimbledon Common being the most breezy bit of open country adjoining London. There is a golfing course on the Common, where also the annual competition of the National Rifle Association is held in July. At the S. of the Common there was formerly an entrenched camp.

Wimbledon through time

Wimbledon is now part of Merton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Merton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wimbledon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wimbledon, in Merton and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/913

Date accessed: 25th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wimbledon ".