Place:


Ambrosden  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ambrosden like this:

AMBROSDEN, a village and a parish in Bicester district, Oxford. The village stands near the river Ray, adjacent to the Oxford and Bletchley railway, 2½ miles SE by S of Bicester. Its name is supposed to have been derived from Ambrosins Aurelins, the British Merlin, who encamped here during the siege of Alcester by the Saxons. ...


Ambrosden Park, adjacent on the NW, was the seat of the late Sir G. Page Turner, Bart. The parish includes also the hamlets of Blackthorn and Arncott. Post Town, Bicester. Acres, 4,865. Real property, £4,248. Pop., 871. Houses, 210. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £228.* Patrons, the trustees of the late Sir G. P. Turner. The church is decorated early English. Charities, £40. Bishop Kennet, the author of "Parochial Antiquities," was for some time vicar.

Ambrosden through time

Ambrosden is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ambrosden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ambrosden, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9127

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ambrosden ".